While chatting with a friend today, for some reason, we got onto the topic of names, specifically Mallu names. And we had a good time laughing at the strange logic or lack of it that seizes parents in our part of the world when naming kids.
And it reminded me of the time I was introduced to a bright, and personable young man by a friend. Now, the friend, in general had a stentorian voice, so I was quite puzzled when he mumbled the guy's name under his breath. He went, "Sh..mumblemumblehumhawcough...y Xxxx." How was I supposed to call the guy this totally incomprehensible name? Anyway, I stuck my hand out for a handshake and said, "Fling, Orange Fling, pleased to meet you... ?" (You know, like James Bond introduces himself, "Craig, Daniel Craig." Just like that.) The idea being that he would also say "Xxxx, whatever Xxxx '. Else, I could just see myself on the phone the next day, going "May I please speak to Sh..mumblemumblehumhawcough...y Xxxx?" No luck, though. He just shook my hand and smiled. It was a nice smile, believe me. I would have so liked to figure out what was going on behind that smile. But by then, I was resigned to calling him Mr. Xxxx, the next time we met. And I know as well as the next person that calling someone Mr. Anything, is just not conducive to anything but seriousness. I was so disappointed.
Maybe it was the expression on my face that made him decide to cheer me up. I'll never know. What I do know, is that just as he was leaving, he reached into his pocket, took out his wallet, drew out a visiting card and handed it to me. At that point in time, there was this fad of accepting visiting cards like the Japanese do, with both hands and a deep bow. My bows were never very deep and this time was not an exception. But as I bowed over the card, I took a quick peek at the name, and almost fell over. There in big bold capital letters was his name:
SHITTY XXXX
What, oh what, were his parents thinking when they named him?
15 comments:
haa.. hey..go into Orkut, and go into the community called "Fraud Mallus"..there is a thread on mallu names... read through it.. real hilarious...some weird ass names i came across in that thread.
shitty (ofcourse)
Titty :)
anal hydrose (he really exists, and is on orkut too)
Silly mary..
Sissy..and lots lots more..
just read it :)
lol
i once knew a titty
i like my name now :)
i know of a mallu set of siblings called dangly, dijina and duno! and i thought they were unlucky!
oh yea.... i bet you his sisters name was pissy!!!!!... ha ha ha ha ha
@aths: ROTFL since yesterday night
@mac
ha ha ha ha ha!
@rohan
this is a syndrome peculiar to the place i live in. parents go to a great deal of trouble and end up naming the kids the most horrendous names possible.
@me,
yes, parents, i tell you!!!
there was someone we used to call titty uncle, and since he was blessed with quite a prominent pair of said assets, u can imagine how much we laughed.
@rama
oiii, u have a nice name.
@fireflies
hee hee hee, that is so funny.
@aths the innocent little one
you are funny my sweet.
you have me clutching my sides laughing.
@all,
Jim had a post on this sometime back, so if you haven't read it, do..it's funny.
http://jimmythekid.blogspot.com/2007/03/whats-name-again.html
oh 3inone, i am still giggling over shitty.
We laugh but I bet you his siblings had the rhyming names. Growing up we were friends with siblings named Pretty, Lovely and Joyful XXXX. God bless our rhyme-loving Mallu parents.
@me,
hugely hilarious, isn't it?
@mint chutney
welcome.
hee hee
apparently has an older sister named titty and a younger one (the poor poor thing) named zitty.
Ha ha, Mallu names always makes for a good post. And remember going through that string of Divyan's too ... too funny.
@jimmy: yeah yeah i know how you hate being named after a dog
Sorry to come in last over here..i should hv commented earlier, what with me having a name as I do..I hv always thought that there were people less fortunate..poor Shitty..wonder if his brother is Potty. Seriously though, that generation of Mal parents werent too well versed with words like Tits and Shit..they probably used Breasts and Stool more..Breastina anyone???
I had two posts on names too..one on me..and the other on others:
http://everymansdiary.blogspot.com/2005/04/name-game.html
http://everymansdiary.blogspot.com/2005/02/thats-whats-in-name.html
but yes..Jimmy's is great!! (the post, I mean :-D)
titty is a very common name! Shitty I've heard of, but thought my kids were joking when they told me about it! Why doesn't the young man change his name now I wonder!
Post a Comment