Monday, December 24, 2007

The library at home

I'm back at home for Christmas and as usual, I've been browsing the bookshelves trying to find an old favourite. I didn't find the book I wanted to read, but I did spend quite a lot of time among the shelves looking for it. The library is still unfinished really, because I haven't been able to decide the look I want for it. Cozy and comfortable, definitely, so I think I'll stick with terracotta tiles, just like I did for the kitchen and pantry.
Here's what I see in my mind when I plan the library.
My grandfather's bookshelf, which I love, for the old books.
Armchairs with soft cushions, just the right kind for chatting and lolling about in.
The lavender and beige carpet with the roses.
Large floor cushions, tempting my guests to flop down on the floor and read.
On one wall my cousin's painting, which she painted for my mother many years ago, in sunshine yellow and summer blue.
A bank of wooden shelves against one wall, for all my books.
A small wooden step ladder for taking down books from the top shelves.
A writing table, with a hard-backed wooden chair.
My grandmother's small wooden cupboard, for keepsakes and diaries.
Window curtains of cream and dull gold, with accents in red.
Framed photographs near the study door.
One large blackboard for scribbling.
What I'm not sure about
Whether I should leave the tiles unpolished.
Am undecided about having a TV in the room.
I don't know when I'm going to get around to doing this, because I need to take time off for it. Which is not going to happen for a few more months anyway, at least until the job is no longer a new job. I'm just lucky I got time off for Christmas. And I'm enjoying the festivities at home. I hope you're all having a great holiday too. Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey....u seem to be a quite interesting person :))
btw as per me...TV not at all required in ur lib, instead u can think of a PC with internet conn, so that u can surf more details abt the books u come across :))