Sunday, July 26, 2009

Are mornings truly my cup of coffee?

I walk every morning. It's a recent phenomenon and I have my sister to thank for it. Well, she walks 4 to 5 kilometers every morning and it seems to be doing her a world of good. So she has been encouraging me to walk for my health. Having been in the habit of listening to at least some of the things my sister says, I now walk for half an hour every morning. But it's too soon to say if it is doing me any good.

This much I know, I now go to sleep at midnight, sometimes even earlier, and wake up at 6 am. That's a change beyond huge in my life.

I take the same route every day. I'm not yet bored of it. Actually, I spend most of the time thinking. I'm sure I look around but not consciously. I'm just about aware of what goes on around me. Aware enough that I sidestep the missing slab in the pavement and that I don't bump into other people, but reflective enough to think about the day, the week, the month or the year ahead. It helps.

Things which bother me are thought out and scenarios are acted out in my mind. I wonder whether my friends know that I have imaginary conversations with them before they're awake. It's easy to see another person's point of view at that early hour of the morning. Nine times out of ten, I find myself laughing at my own follies. I find too, that I get home and spend an hour reading in the morning. I definitely love this. I'm catching up on my reading, getting through a pile of unread books at the pace of an hour a day. An unhurried breakfast and getting to work on time seem to be additional benefits of my morning walk.

I'm a nocturnal creature, though. It's a life changing decision for me. And whether I will be able to sustain this change and turn into an inhabitant of the day, well, only the coming weeks will tell.

3 comments:

hillgrandmom said...

I'm such an owl myself, I quite understand what a change it must be.

cats in the window said...

a walk is good for the soul and whatever ails you and me. perhaps this will encourage me to start walking again.

Everyman said...

A walk..yeah it can do you a world of good..PROVIDED you can stick to wakin up on time..and once you find out how to do that, pls do let me know :-) I've been tryin to wake up at 6 for over two months now..and I've managed a best of 6.45!