This was a few months ago. I was with a friend in his car and he suddenly commented that I was hot! Okay, now that's a compliment if I ever heard one so there I was, all happy and smiling, when he said - "No ya!!(poof, pricked my balloon of happiness) I'm talking about your temperature - you're HOTHOTHOT!! Do you have fever or something? And how come only one half of you is radiating heat like an oven?" Okay, I probably should have listened to what he was saying but all I heard was that extremely dampening NO YA at the beginning- tuned off after that. Anyway, the next morning, I wasn't hot or even mildly lukewarm and I had decided that I definitely hated him mildly and quickly forgot all about him and the heat. Many many many months later (I had forgotten the heat episode) one evening he comes up with - "Oh my God, you're HOT again. What is wrong with you?" What was he implying? That he had such an effect on me that I had hot flashes because of him? Hmmm... maybe, if the time and place are right, sure. But, hello, what's wrong with the man, he's talking about my temperature again. This time though, I figure it has nothing to do with him. I had actually started to imitate a tandoori oven. Dry unbearable heat was rising from my chest. Googled it - "elevated temperature+breasts"- and horror of horrors, all the sites that came up were sites on breast cancer.
Oh oh, this was no longer a laughing matter, was it? I was going to die of cancer. I was too young for this. What was I to do? First on the list was a breast self-exam. Found about five lumps or lump-like tissue. There was a discolored patch shaped like a paramecium , reminded me so much of my seventh standard bio text. Okay, this was also a symptom of the big C. Obviously, I panicked and headed to see a doctor, which was this morning. She was very encouraging and all that,( apparently the lumps I thought I'd felt were just breast tissue) but at the end I found that her prescription included a mammograph. The test has to be done to rule out any possibility of a malignancy. There's a family history of cancer and I suppose there are good chances that this thing could creep up on us.
I'm off for a full check up anyway and will be back online whenever possible.
I wish now that I'd listened to my friend many months ago and seen a doctor then. If this turns out to be bad news, I'm going to kick myself for not having heard what he said, instead of just hearing what I thought he was saying. I don't know when I will tell him this, but boy am I bloody grateful to him for being so heat-sensitive.
And the rest of you out there, listen when your friends talk, what they say may actually save your life!!!
P.S. All women should learn how to do a breast self-exam. It really helps if you get a doctor to show you how.
I'm off for a full check up anyway and will be back online whenever possible.
I wish now that I'd listened to my friend many months ago and seen a doctor then. If this turns out to be bad news, I'm going to kick myself for not having heard what he said, instead of just hearing what I thought he was saying. I don't know when I will tell him this, but boy am I bloody grateful to him for being so heat-sensitive.
And the rest of you out there, listen when your friends talk, what they say may actually save your life!!!
P.S. All women should learn how to do a breast self-exam. It really helps if you get a doctor to show you how.
1 comment:
But you dont have anything :) Glad...Cancer is really painfull..I lost my grandpa to it only recently, and I know it hurts..
Note to self : Stop smoking !
Post a Comment