Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Sharing

I've always wanted to live on a campus. Or at least in a colony. Or in today's world filled with high rise apartments, I suppose a block of flats would be the thing. The only time I've come anywhere close to this is during the five years I spent in hostel. I remember leaving home as an excited seventeen year-old. I was going away to college and to a hostel. Community living seemed so full of possibilities. Look at the number of friends my siblings had, friends they were really close to. Friends they shared everything with - except toothbrushes and innerwear!! My niece told me once that on a school trip, two of her friends had used her toothbrush and she had thrown it away and bought herself a new one immediately. This, in true hostel language is called snobbery. I've been guilty of this too, for the love of anything under the sun, how can you share a toothbrush?? or a bra or a panty?? I thought about this - I have a lot of time to think, since the prescription is rest and relaxation and I'm bored of watching TV. My own thoughts seem a better place to be than in front of the TV.
Here's a list of things I wouldn't want to share:
  • Toothbrush (and all allied equipment)
  • Lipstick (okay, I may be too finicky here, but I'm just not comfortable sharing a lipstick unless it's with some family member - okay, okay, I am a snob)
  • Innerwear
  • Any guy I'm on smooching terms with ( not that I'm ever on those terms with more than one guy at a time but if he's sharing himself, well, I think I'll pass )
  • Pillows
  • Towels
  • My diary
  • My bathroom ( this has exceptions, but on the whole, I like my bathroom to be mine)

And a list of things I wouldn't mind sharing:

  • Toothpaste
  • My side of the bed
  • Myself
  • The Wagon-R
  • My mom's room :-) (I spend about 50% of my time there and it's my favourite place - though, I just realised I've never asked her whether she minds me sharing it)
  • My dad's umbrella ( I love this so much, he bought himself a spare one)
  • A train berth
  • A cup of coffee
  • Recipes
  • Water
  • The price of a meal when I'm out with friends
  • My home
  • Love & laughter

Not that you have to live in a colony/flats/hostel to share these things but it's just more practical to think of sharing when you live in close communion with other people. But on the whole, I find that I'm okay with sharing most things with the people I love.

1 comment:

Yasser Rahman said...

The life I wish I had...but never did :) I liked the list of things that you dont mind sharing..small things, but still things that bring a smile to your face :)