Saturday, August 26, 2006

Work or play or bribes?

Last week, my class forgot to hand in their assignment. Turns out, most of them had forgotten it. Not forgotten to do it, but had forgotten it altogether. I was not amused. I like teaching and try to make the class interesting, not the usual boring definitions and descriptions. My classes are friendly places, with a lot of interaction and laughter. So what do I do when the students decide they can take advantage of that? Should I turn into an ogre just to make sure they do their work? I'm not comfortable with that. But then, if they play the fool and don't get through their finals, then I'm not being a good teacher am I?
Well, I'll keep the classes friendly, but figure out some reward for the ones who do their work. I think. Worries me if I'm bribing them.

1 comment:

Macabreday said...

Its good wanting to be the favorite teacher. In the long run, students will have respect because u had drawn the line and enforced it. :)