Wednesday, February 14, 2007

It's Valentine's Day

Don't you just love the stories behind all these festivals and celebrations? We've all heard of St.Valentine, who performed secret marriages in ancient Rome (or maybe it was Greece or Turkey or one of those places anyway... somehow keep mixing him up with Saint Nicholas). But did you know that the original festival of love was the Lupercalia in Rome?
Now this must have been one interesting celebration. The ancient Romans knew how to have their orgies, so you can't expect them to have been backward when it came to a festival of love, can you? The young men of Rome ran a race (or something like that) clad - from all accounts - in nothing or a miniscule loincloth and the girls got to pick their partners. Kind of a reverse swayamvara, I guess; but at least the girls knew what they were getting….
Somewhere down the ages, the church decided to play spoilsport and turned it into a holy day and Valentine into the patron saint of lovers. And now, with St.Valentine off the official list of saints, it's become another commercial greeting card day. I'm not complaining, believe me, it's nice to get cards and flowers and chocolates from old friends and new. In fact, here’s a Pooh & Piglet valentine I got from one of my oldest friends this morning.

And here's a valentine story that dropped by my mailbox many months ago:
There was a young widowed mother who was being courted by the town judge. Her kids, who quite liked him, decided to stir things up a bit and sent him a valentine supposedly from her. They even found a word which rhymed with valentine - the poor woman!! The next time she met him, he looked through her; no wonder, for the valentine read
"If you will be my valentine
I will be thy concubine!"

8 comments:

Dex said...

Rhyme's a crime ... sometimes! Ha ha, loved the valentine story - but made me feel sorry for the poor lady too.
Maybe I m the only one worse off than her ... not a single valentine greeting this time! WAAH!

Bobby D. said...

thanks for the vals day laugh.

happy vals day!

3inone said...

@Jimmy

:-) Yeah, sometimes rhyme's a crime and I just don't know how to write valentines.BUT, here's one just for you...

I know this is late by a day,
But I just have this to say,
That whatever, however, wherever,
You find a Valentine who's forever!

@dcb
have fun. life's always more pleasant with a few laughs:)

Macabreday said...

"If you will be my valentine
I will be thy concubine"

ha ha.. that was hilarious :)
and JJ...dont worry..i didnt get a single wish either... maybe we should start running those races in those loin clothes :)

3inone said...

@mac
Please let me know where said race is to be held. I'll be there and, will bring my friends too.

P.S. you guys...just how many valentines did you send out???? girls need some encouragement to send these declarations of love.

Adrian Brisland said...

Ha ha! too true! O well, us guys get caught up in taking things for granted, thank god women are there to set us straight.

btw: thanks for posting 3inone, your blog is just as great.

Everyman said...

@3inone - count me in for that loin cloth race as well..dont know whether the sight of us three running wd send the women running in another direction altogether though!

3inone said...

hmmm... well, considering that the race was originally run by the likes of marc Antony, expectations may be high:-)