This happened last Sunday. My mother, as I've said in an earlier post has been going through a tough time and now manages because she is on oxygen. Not all the time, but at night, and whenever she feels the need for it. It's done her a world of good. It's done me a world of good.I sleep better because she sleeps better. I realised just how much better she was feeling after a conversation with her last Sunday.
She had been complaining the whole morning of an ache in her shoulder, and when I checked it out, realised that the side of her neck, her shoulders and her arms were all showing some signs of strain. I was puzzled, to say the least. Just couldn't figure out what had happened. While I was applying a pain reliever to the affected areas, I started to think aloud.
Me: I don't understand this. It's quite bad.
Mom: (Sighs quietly - from the pain)
Me: Did you knock it somewhere, ma? Against the door or the cupboard or something?
Mom: No.
Me: (thinks) She must be really in pain. She can't even answer in full sentences.
Me : (now very worried) Ma, did you lean on your hand, or lift something up?
Mom: No.
Me: Okay, we're not going to play around with this. I'm calling the doctor. What if it's something that really needs to be looked at? Can't neglect it.
Mom: It's probably the vegetables.
Me: ( Now totally puzzled) VEGETABLES?
Me: (thinking) Oh my god, maybe the problem isn't physical. Oh @#$% I better call up Vellore and check with sis.
Me : (repeating, even louder) VEGETABLES???
Mom: (sheepishly) Maybe I shouldn't have cut so many.....
Me: Speechless, runs to the kitchen and finds following vegetables diced, sliced, grated, cut, shelled etc. Tomatoes, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, potatoes, onions, beans, peas and ONE HUMONGOUS PINEAPPLE!
Mystery of painful shoulder solved.
She had been complaining the whole morning of an ache in her shoulder, and when I checked it out, realised that the side of her neck, her shoulders and her arms were all showing some signs of strain. I was puzzled, to say the least. Just couldn't figure out what had happened. While I was applying a pain reliever to the affected areas, I started to think aloud.
Me: I don't understand this. It's quite bad.
Mom: (Sighs quietly - from the pain)
Me: Did you knock it somewhere, ma? Against the door or the cupboard or something?
Mom: No.
Me: (thinks) She must be really in pain. She can't even answer in full sentences.
Me : (now very worried) Ma, did you lean on your hand, or lift something up?
Mom: No.
Me: Okay, we're not going to play around with this. I'm calling the doctor. What if it's something that really needs to be looked at? Can't neglect it.
Mom: It's probably the vegetables.
Me: ( Now totally puzzled) VEGETABLES?
Me: (thinking) Oh my god, maybe the problem isn't physical. Oh @#$% I better call up Vellore and check with sis.
Me : (repeating, even louder) VEGETABLES???
Mom: (sheepishly) Maybe I shouldn't have cut so many.....
Me: Speechless, runs to the kitchen and finds following vegetables diced, sliced, grated, cut, shelled etc. Tomatoes, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, potatoes, onions, beans, peas and ONE HUMONGOUS PINEAPPLE!
Mystery of painful shoulder solved.
9 comments:
:)
often think handling our parents will train us to handle our future children!!
trying eh? - but adorable!
i should know, both mine are of that exact same type!
hope ur mum gets better soon and does not require external support like oxygen.
:) LOL.
Hope your mom gets better.
no matter how bad the condition is, its sometimes difficult to let go of certain things naa...
hope ur mom gets better..do keep us posted :)
@dot(s)
yes, they're adorable. the good thing is both of them keep me laughing through all these ups and downs.
@me
thanks.
@mac
yes it is. actually i'm happy she gets involved in running the house. We all get much better food cos the maid listens to her:-)
LOL!! A pineappple??!!! But hey, I can understand..every time I enter the kitchen, I start crying..Not to talk abt the painful part of washing up dried up dirty dishes!
Ha ha. Your mom is quite a hard-worker. Hope she gets better soon :)
Btw, hey! What did you do with the pineapple?? Been years since I have had one :(
@Shain
Heee... I sing while I'm in the kitchen, which is nice for me and bad for the poor listeners (mom & dad). Sometimes I wonder whether that's why both of them help out so much :-)
@Jimmy
The pineapple? I ate it. No point letting perfect sweet golden yellow juicy pineapple rounds go waste, is there?
@rohan
That can't be easy to come to terms with. Hope you manage okay.
That is both funny and sweet at the same time! I hope your mom recovers soon.
:-)
@pam
yeah, i know. my mom has a talent for making me laugh while making me want to hug her at the same time:-)
Post a Comment