Sunday, March 18, 2007

Yesterday was hot

Yesterday was hot.
I remember
Childhood skies
Blazing pubescence
Crowding my memories
Beneath flowering
mango trees
Sweet sugarcane temptation
In my hands
Smooth, hard, inviting
Demanding
Tongue, mouth, teeth
Tasteburst on my lips
Golden treacle flowing
Down my chin
This stalk became mine
As I drained it of all juice
Sticky sweetness on my face
Under summer skies
I remem
ber.
Yesterday was hot.
And so were you.
(A long time ago, I read the translation of a poem written by a Punjabi woman poet whose name I do not remember. While I do not remember the poem accurately, or in its entirety, the feel of it stayed in my mind all these years, and has definitely exerted its influence on this poem.)

9 comments:

Dex said...

This one's got a very refreshingly Indian feel. Cool... (oh, sorry...um) HOT pome, this ;)

3inone said...

@Jimmy
Yeah, I thought I'd try for a different feel altogether this time around. Found that it's kind of difficult to get a hot feel while staying totally away from using words which are normally connected with that feel. Think I succeeded - at least to an extent. Well, this is another of my poems which will undergo fine tuning before going into my 'for publication' collection:-)
P.S. You better buy the book when I do publish.

Everyman said...

I melt!

3inone said...

@ the emperor of ice cream
:-)

@JJ,Shain
I ventured into this poem with great trepidation. Was terrified of vulgarity creeping in at any point.
I guess the sugarcane metaphor did work:-)

Btw, did you know that the bow of Kama is made of sugarcane and his arrows are tipped with mango flowers?

Macabreday said...

makes me want to enjoy sweat and stickyness :)

Butterfly said...

Beautiful...

Dex said...

No, the poem was quite sensual but in no way vulgar... you walked the thin line, and how!
Did Kama have a sugarcane bow? Prefer Yama though (you must have guessed that from my poems)... I think you have to be totally cool to go around on a buffalo, and that too in style!!
And believe me, I'm gonna buy the first copy of your book, but it has to be autographed!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

it's very very erotic. i loved it.

Anonymous said...

Great work.