Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Need to read

Went blog visiting today and here's what I found. me , (not me,as in I, but me, the syrian christian girl who is marrying nonsyrianchristiannonmallu boy) who always has a unique take on stuff - like wanting to get fired, put up a list of books. Look at the list of books below.
  • Type "READ" beside the ones you've read.
  • Type "WANT TO" beside the ones you'd like to read.
  • Leave blank the ones that you aren't interested in.
  • Type "AGAIN AND AGAIN" beside the ones you could read again and again.
  • "TRIED" for those books that you've tried to read...again and again. (This one Rob put in!)
  • "??" For those books you haven't heard of (This one, Paperback put in!
  • "SAW IT" For those books you shamelessly watched the movie of instead (This one, me put in)
  • "NEVER AGAIN" for those books you ploughed through and wish you hadn't. (My contribution - if I pick up a book, I just have to finish it, no matter how bad it is.)

1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown) Read
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen) Again and Again
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee) Again and Again
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell) Read
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien) Again and Again
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien) Again and Again
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien) Again and Again
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery) Read
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon) ??
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry) Want to
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling) Read
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)Read
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling) Read
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving) Want to
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden) Read
16. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (Rowling) Read
17. Fall on Your Knees(Ann-Marie MacDonald) ??
18. The Stand (Stephen King)
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(Rowling) Read
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) Again and Again
21. The Hobbit (Tolkien) Read
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger) Again and Again
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott) Read
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold) Read
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel) Read
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)Again and Again
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte) Again and Again and Again
28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis) Read
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck) Read
30. Tuesdays with Morrie(Mitch Albom) Want to
31. Dune (Frank Herbert) Read
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks) Want to
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)Read
34. 1984 (Orwell) Read
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley) Read
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett) Read
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay) ??
38. I Know This Much is True(Wally Lamb) ??
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant) ??
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho) Read
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel) Read
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) Want to
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella) ??
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom) Want to
45. Bible Read
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy) Read
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas) Read
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt) Want to
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck) Read
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb) ??
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver) ??
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens) Read
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card) ??
54. Great Expectations (Dickens) Read
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald) Read
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence) ??
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling) Read
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough) Read
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood) Want to
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger) Read
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) Read
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand) Read
63. War and Peace (Tolsoy) Read
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice) Want to
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis) ??
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez) Read
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)??
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller) Read
69. Les Miserables (Hugo) Read
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery) Again and again
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding) Read
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez) Read
73. Shogun (James Clavell) Read
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje) Read
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett) Read
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay) ??
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith) Want to
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving) Read
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence) ??
80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)??
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley) ??
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck) Read
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier) Read
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind) ??
85. Emma (Jane Austen) Again and Again
86. Watership Down(Richard Adams) Again and Again
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley) Read
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields) ??
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago) Want to
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer) Read
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje) Want to
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding) Read
93. The Good Earth(Pearl S. Buck) Read
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd) Want to
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum) Read
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton) ??
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford) Never Again
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield) Read
100. Ulysses (James Joyce) Read

11 comments:

Macabreday said...

have read Kite runner..thats da only one frm the list i have read..shows how much of a reader i am ehh :) another book not on the list that i read was "house of blue mangoes"..liked it.

Dex said...

Hey! Our tastes match quite a lot ... only that I would have placed 'Hitchhikers Guide' in the AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN category and included 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time'.
But then, again, I don't warm up much to Jane Austen... so her books are out.
Btw, hey! You don't have no opinion of 'The Stand'?

Me said...

Oh I like the Never Again thing. I would put that for John Steinbeck. Ugh. never again him!

3inone said...

@mac
I'd like to read KR. Let's see, maybe I'll get around to it sometime during my next break.

I found that if I were to add books that should have been on the list, there would be another hundred:-)

@Jimmy
Yeah, I love Hitchhiker's Guide. Wasn't too taken up by the movie though. I think it's a book that has to come alive in your own mind so someone else's interpretation of it turns it into just another story. On the other hand, I felt the same way about LOTR and in the end was okay with the movie.
And oh btw, I do not read Stephen King at all - ever!! NEVER EVER!! Salman Rushdie also falls into this category.
When are you putting this up on your blog? You can't leave me hanging with 'our tastes match....' I totally love it when people have similar reading tastes - hate it when it's identical to mine, because then it can get boring.

@me
Maybe you should try Steinbeck in about ten years. Sometimes attittudes and how you respond to books can change as the years pass by.

3inone said...

Any of you read this essay by D.H.Lawrence - "The Spinner and the Monks'??? That's the piece that actually made me start looking at DHL as worth a read. And then of course, i came across 'Sons & Lovers' and fell in love! That's one book I'd deinitely add to the list.

Dex said...

The Hitchhikers... movie was as bad as the book was good. I abhorred everyone who played anyone in the movie, including Mos Def - who I didn't mind that much before this disaster occurred.
But then, I love Stephen King ... especially some of his novellas like 'Shawshank Redemption' and 'The Body'. And 'Misery' is the best I have ever liked anything in Pulp, i m sure.
'The Stand', however, I thought was pretty crappy.
Hey, do you like Edgar Karat? Love him... read one of his short story books recently and loved it outta my guts!

Me said...

I think you just maybe right about the 10 year thing. Because the other day, I picked up 'Catcher iN the Rye' and there were things in there I never caught on at 13.
So shall take your word for it.
and OH, i have to agree with Jimmy - hitchikers def. as bad as the book was good. And Misery rocks!

Pam said...

That's quite a book list - plenty I've read and plenty I'm glad to reminded of that I would like to read. Thanks for posting it.

3inone said...

@me
:-) Yeah, I said that cos I started to appreciate Steinbeck only after I hit the late 30's.
I love Catcher in the Rye.

@Jimmy
I read a couple of books of Stephen King's a long time ago and didn't like them. Maybe The Shawshank Redemption will change my mind. Planning to read it this weekend.

@pam
Yeah, that's how I felt. Have already picked up some new books for myself:-)

Everyman said...

This one is comin soon on my blog!!! Been away for the "weekend"..back in office now! Sheesh! :-(

3inone said...

@shain
Ah! Can't wait to read your take on these.
Sometimes I wish life was just one long weekend.

@Jimmy
I think Edgar Karat is the same as Etgar Keret, the Israeli author who wrote ' The Bus Driver who Wanted to be God'. He is phenomenally good.