My fish died. She was a pretty karimeen - this is a pretty, tasty fish, known as the Pearl-spot, so named because of a spot shaped like a luminescent pearl just behind the pectoral fin. I used to love watching her swimming lazily a few feet below the surface of the water, coming up to the surface when my shadow fell across the water, obviously equating said shadow with underwater legend of god-like figure who dispenses mashed tasty rice like manna from heaven, doing a few pirouettes in the water and generally exuding a joie de vivre you wouldn't expect to see in a fish in a well.
She was one of ten fingerlings which we dropped into the well one September Sunday more than ten years ago. Eight died within the week. It's not nice, having to haul out dead fish after dead fish from a well, but after the third one, I became an expert at it. I like to think that the last two survived because I took them out and kept them in a small tank for a few days before dropping them back in. I believe the official explanation was that it was a small well, and it was nature's way of limiting the population to what the well could handle. Well, so much for me wanting to populate my well with different kinds of fish.
Including the two Pearl-spots, there were seven fish in the well. Two suckers, bought by my extremely practical dad to keep the well clean, and three small slim silver coloured fish which trailed frilled, multi-coloured phosphorescent fins and tails. The two suckers were bottom feeders and stayed down most of the time, clearly visible on sunny afternoons when the bright sun lit the well right through. The small silver-coloured fish were surface denizens, never going more than a foot or two below the surface. The Pearl-spots stayed at a point midway down the well, coming up to the surface on and off. Three well defined communities in the well. Or so I thought.
About a year after the Pearl-spots joined this small community, I realised that there was a lot of interspecific fraternising going on in my back yard.
One morning after an unexpected rain, I found two baby fish swimming around the well, staying close to the surface. They were nondescript really, less than an inch long when I first saw them, but as the days went by, they grew into extraordinary fish. One of them was breathtakingly beautiful, shaped like a Pearl spot, but with the trailing, multi-coloured fins so characteristic of the silver fish. The other, was a slim silver fish with a multi-coloured pearl shaped spot behind the pectoral fin and a trailing black tail. I was entranced, to say the least. And very proud of them, as if they were my own creations.
They lived for a few months and then one summer I found myself putting my expertise at hauling dead fish out of the well to good use. The two new fish, and all three of the silver coloured fish were dead in a matter of days. We were down to four fish then. I kept thinking about putting in some new fish, but never got around to it. One Pearl spot died about three years ago and now the last one's gone too.
One of these days, I'll go down to the Fisheries College and pick up some fingerlings so that the well doesn't look so empty. The suckers are still there, but they're not sociable creatures. They stay at the bottom and if at all they come up to rest on the underwater ledge near the water surface, they lunge for the bottom as soon as my shadow falls across the water. Maybe, unlike the Pearl-spots, they believe in a cruel god.
15 comments:
awwww... so sorry 3inone. I'm planning to get a pet fish too & now I'm reconsidering it. :(
I am still fascinated by the interspecies mingling. And the product of it. Uhm...a friend told me once that it was extremely difficult to get fish to breed or osmething like that.
So, i guess you must have been taking care of it well.
Oh, poor Pearl Spot...
My dad had also tried rearing fish in our back-up well but, somehow, a family of watersnakes got in there and ate all of them up.
Last time I heard, he was trying to fish the snakes out ;)
Interspecies mingling?? The two suckers did not have anything to do with Pearl, did they?
Nice fish tale... I think it would be lovely to keep fish in the back yard, but it is far too cold where I live to do that. I'm sorry that you lost Pearl. :-(
@dw
get one. at the end of a hectic day, watching fish is very restful.
@me
i don't know how much i had to do with it. i guess they were bored and procreation was an enjoyable way of keeping themselves occupied.
@jimmy
hope your dad manages to get rid of the water snakes.
and as for the suckers, nope, don't think so - for one thing they're snooty, for another they look like Yoda from Star Wars while the progeny looked like Tinker Bell the fairy from the Disney Cartoon Peter Pan. Too much of a mismatch there.
@pam
yeah, with all the snow,fish in the backyard would be difficult.
@everyone
thanks for the sympathy.
Lol!!Procreation is definitely a good way to pass time!!! Though it wd probably be a tiring way sooon!
Sorry to hear abt ur loss..hope u get some new fish soon...
Me and my bro once asked Dad if we could put our two dogs together to 'while away some time'. Sadly, Dad dint quite agree..and now both our dogs are no longer around, both died within one year of each other..and we have no puppies to remember them by..
@shain
tiring?
tiring?
well, can understand your dad not wanting his dogs tired out :-)
I said 'tiring' coz it would be tiring to procreate everytime you felt bored :-D
Yup..am sure Dad was worried abt his dogs getting tired..but we put them together on the sly..but our efforts were in vain..Julie probably didnt like Rocky in that sense..must have been the color..
@Shain
I have just had a detailed lesson in 'the love/sex life of fish' from a zoologist friend who read my post!
Apparently these fish procreate by laying eggs in the water and the male swims over them as they float down and fertilises the eggs. So much for interesting occupations. It sounds more boring than tiring!!!
And poor Julie. It must have been the two voyeurs who turned her off!
Two voyeurs? HAR HAR DE HAR HAR! That has to be Varghese Junior and Varghese Senior, eh?
I hope Shain's dad doesn't come blog-hopping to find all this stuff about him!
Man... that was hilarious!!!
@Jimmy - Fast Forward to twenty years after. Your teenage sons find and read these blogs. Ha!!! They will then be inspired to various heroic deeds (like racing locomotives on bridges).
Poor you!
aint taking care of fishes job of too many responsiblities... n man! i really didnt kwn fishes have such long a life!
gues si ed to go back 2 lil bit of zoology n botany books!
@3inone &JJ - The two wannabe voyeurs were actually me and my bro!! But we were disappointed..We both did get to see two snakes mating once though..Twas quite a sight!
@3inone - Well, I'm glad i aint a fish then..Imagine!!Hovering over microscopic eggs in sea!What a life!
@JJ- hope ur dad doesnt read urs either!
Post a Comment