Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Blogworld destinations

Sometime last Sunday my father and I were discussing stuff. General stuff and on and off particular stuff - me. This is a favourite topic with both of us. My father, because he is interested in all of us and what we do with our lives. (I take up a fourth of his time). Me, because, well, I like talking about myself. I like writing about myself too. You should have figured this out by now, since you're reading this on a blog written by me, devoted to me. On Sunday, however, the topic meandered from me, to my blog, to the people who read my blog, to the people whose blogs I read (the last two are not necessarily the same) and he was quite fascinated by the fact that here I was, out in the big bad world or the worldwideweb or whatever and out of the many who drop by from all across the world, at least some, are from my own country, my own state, my own city, and even my own community. It fascinates me too. (As you can see, my father and I share common interests other than just me.)

Call it coincidence, fate, destiny, what-you-will, but as we finished this conversation, I found myself on
Bishwanath's blog reading a post titled 'My Five Favourite Bloggers' and linking from there, I found Gauravonomics and that is when I discovered that there is a specific community of bloggers out there and that I am a Desi Blogger. At least, I think I am. I like that. Gives me a sense of belonging, it does. But then, I read and am read by non Desi Bloggers too. And I love that. So I decided to do a post of my five favourite blogs. No categories, just some blogs I like reading. (I like a lot of other blogs too,but I decided to stick to five). If you have Google Analytics, you will find that I am almost obsessive about visiting some of your blogs. As Shain once remarked, I must also be a big red dot on a lot of maps.

So here they are : My Five Favourite Blogs.

1. The MCC Bloggers (Mac, Jimmy, Shain)
Yeah, I cheated, that's a 3inone entry, but you see, the three of them run together in my mind.
The World of Mac
Mac is not afraid to feel. This dawned on me when I read the first poem he posted. This is a guy whose blog description says that he does not have writing skills, but he blogs anyway. Don't you believe him. His writing is evocative and it touches you deeply. Mac is a relationship counselor (I'm right, aren't I, Mac?) and once in a way he lets us into this special world with his insights on how couples interact. My daily fix. Even when he has not posted anything new. I read his older posts and re-read the ones I've already read. He cooks too. Delectable, delicious stuff. Check it out. He's a good cook.
Stone Cold Crazy
Jimmy. Well, to start off with, let me tell you, he's a jujube. A delightful jujube. I haven't met him. I've just read his blog. And that's a delightful blog. He can send the shivers up your spine, and down it too, with his descriptions of ghosts stalking city streets, and packs of dogs hunting sub editors on bikes. He can make you laugh till you're rolling around, filling the house with hysterical laughter, initiating 'should-we-send-for-the-men-with-the-strait-jackets' looks amongst your family on Sundays. And when you finish your shivers and your laughter, you realise that somewhere in the recesses of your mind, a few sleeping cells have awakened and are now thinking - about stray dogs, about child labour, about things which matter. Yes, it's a delightful blog.
Everyman's Diary
Shain. A traveller. A thinker. A photographer. Sometimes, a jogger. Likes coffee shops. Would like them even more if he could sit in a coffee shop with some women or even just a woman. With someone other than a man. He writes detailed posts. And when he can, he posts photographs. His descriptions are detailed, and he draws pictures in your mind when he writes. He takes you with him where he goes. You identify with him. He is truly 'everyman' in that sense. I'm waiting for him to sample camel meat so I get to enjoy it vicariously.

2.
Rama - Khamosh Sa Afsana
First of all, let me confess that I have no idea what khamosh sa afsana means. But I do love this blog. It so clearly calls to you - well, it calls to me. It's a blog written from the heart. Rama is a journalist who writes for others in her job and writes for herself on her blog. As she said, "
i love writing. one of the few things i do like, i think". You can make that out. And oh yes, her writing is so well crafted that sometimes I weep with envy.

3. Me,the Malayalee Syrian Christian - My Thoughts Out Loud

Me works and lives in a small town in America, counting the days until she marries her non Mallu, non Syrian Christian boy. The trials and tribulations she and the boy face, the happiness they share, her plans for the wedding, counting the days until the wedding, her job, her parents, her room mate and so on - her readers are given glimpses into her life. She laughs, cries, giggles and vents, and we do all these along with her. Sometimes, I feel like I'm a portrait on her staircase wall (a la the Hogwarts portraits), watching her life.

4. Pam - Green Eggs and Pam
Pam can take the most difficult day and turn it into something that has me crying and laughing at the same time.
She has such a gift.
It's incredible. She's funny and she's brave. An unbeatable combination.

5. Rohan -
Doodles and Musings
Rohan muses. And he doodles his musings. He doodles baby monsters and easter eggs and primitive motifs. He is good at doodling. He makes me laugh. When I am overloaded with work and I need a quick break to feel refreshed, I visit his blog.

And these are a few of my favourite blogs.....

16 comments:

Pam said...

Hey, thanks for the great review and the link! I'm honored.
:-)

I haven't been writing much lately but maybe your kind words will help me find my own words again soon...

Now I'm off to investigate some of these other links you have listed...

Macabreday said...

yaayy..what an honor :) really..and a good idea to blog about ur regular blogs :) and yea...ill need to check into the other links you mentioned do.. and hey...we should do that tripe we spoke abt....sometime early next year.

Me said...

wow.
i am humbled.
truly.
Like Rohan says - you made my day!!!

Macabreday said...

hey 3INONE..i think u might have got the link wrong for "ME"...
not me..but the blogger also known as "me"... i think instead of [dot] u put [comma]

Anonymous said...

*blush* thanks for the compliment. makes up for the lousy day i have had so far :)
but really its me here, totally unidemsional, who is envious of the 3inone.
khamosh sa asfana is flicked from a beautiful old Bollywood song, which means A Silent Story.

Anonymous said...

@pam
Hope you had a nice time visiting the other blogs.

@mac
yes, we must we must plan the trip.
I am dreaming now of myself lying on a beach with a steady stream of cocktails finding their way to my hand. You know, like a chain smoker,only with white rum orange juice and coconut cream.

And yes, I had made a mistake with 'Me' the blogger's link. Have dotted the comma now. Thanks.


@rohan
:-) put it down to my thought processes being upside down.

@me
:-) I find myself much in empathy with your outlook on life.
what's news on the visa front?

@rama
That is a beautiful name for a blog. Please tell me where I can get to listen to the song.

And I love it that you think I'm not unidimesional. Most people who know me think of it as all the different personalities emerging one by one. So far it is three. I live in fear of the day that the one who likes to do exotic dances around a pole turns up:-)

@all
It was my pleasure. I really enjoyed writing this post.

Anonymous said...

hey, i think u will enjoy the dance enormously, if that day ever comes!
the song is not on raaga, and i dont know much about other sites. i have the song on my hard disk. can mail it if you like :)

Me said...

hi, i got mine but the boy hasn't heard about his yet.
Keeping fingers crossed. :)

Gauravonomics said...

Hey,

Saw you on my Technorati linkbacks list and dropped in to say hi! :-)

3inone said...

@gaurav
Thanks for dropping by. You've got an awesome blog. Very helpful for the techno-challenged

Dex said...

Hey! Sorry for coming in so late but ... (BLUSH!!) really?! I really come in your list of favourites! Sniff!
Thanks lotsa, Liz. So totally honoured :)

3inone said...

of course you do, jim. of course you do!

3inone said...

@me
keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.

3inone said...

@rama
thanks. got the song. nice.

Everyman said...

Awwwgeeee!!!! I never thought I could be later than JJ, but here i am :-) U made all of us small time bloggers feel soo good :) Will be back soon!

Shain

3inone said...

Shain,
1. stop being modest.
2. what's news?