When you've moved to a new place, it seems logical to assume that you'll be finding new friends too. In fact, that's one of the exciting things about a move. Getting to meet and getting to know a whole bunch of new people. That's right. New people. People you've never met before.
Some are people you work with. People whom you see on a daily basis. People you're getting to know pretty fast. And like, in many cases. These are people with whom you have something in common. Work. So, starting up a conversation is easy. You can talk about the latest, hottest campaign and voila, you've found points you agree on or points you violently disagree on, but whichever, you've found a topic of conversation. And there you are, you have a work buddy.
Some are friends of friends. Chances of making friends with them are pretty high. First of all, your friend and you have something in common. So does the f-o-f and said friend. So there you are, something to talk about. And you hope this is going to be one of those times when you make a new friend.
Some are people you met randomly. Now, these are the interesting ones. You don't know them. They don't know you. But for some reason you smiled at each other. maybe you were both thinking the same thing at the same time. Maybe you were both standing at the same checkout counter in the supermarket and noticed that your baskets were filled with similar stuff. Worcestershire sauce, bitter marmalade, dark chocolate, a slice of gouda and white wine. And brown eggs. Or something like that. Whatever. You've definitely got something in common, so a conversation is easy.
While I was writing this, it suddenly occurred to me that moving to a new city is so similar to setting up a new blog. First, it was just me and my blog. I'd write. And then I'd write again. And again. But no one read it. Or so I thought. And then, out of nowhere, the comments started to come. But I also realise that I ventured out from my blog, visited other blogs, left comments and became a friendly blogger. First one, then two, then a third, and slowly, I found so many new friends. So, yes, am now sure that in time, I'll have new friends and oh yes, you can bet your last penny, I'm going to enjoy the whole process of making new friends.
4 comments:
for me, its not an easy process making friends....mainly because it requires an effort from my side too...but yaa...if u need it, you got to go out and get it..!!
anwya..hey..when i come to blore, like u said, lets do some restaurant hopping...!!
i find that the older you get the harder it is to find people you can connect with. you'll meet a lot of people, nice people that you can hang out with, but those special friends are hard to come by.
@mac
yes,sometimes it does take effort. But good friends are worth the effort.
@broom
Yes I agree. As you grow older, finding those special friends is difficult. But when you do find one, well, you're really lucky:)
hey u shop interesting stuff. me want to have food in your place!!!
Post a Comment