Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Making up my mind

It’s been over two months since I landed in this fair city and I’m still no closer to making up my mind about whether I like it – or not. This evening, I found myself dishing out the same old line “Oh I haven’t yet decided what I feel about the place” and decided right then that it was time I thought up a better answer. Well, I don’t want to look like a wishy-washy-don’t-know-how-to-make-up-my-mind kind of person. So here I am with a list of the pros and cons and here you are – you poor things – my collective sounding board, as usual.
  1. The weather’s great. I like it. Even when I forget my woollens and am dying for someone/something to keep me warm. Preferably someone.
  2. The city looks good at night. Especially at 3 a.m. when I’ve finished work and wend my way home. The roads are empty and I get home in about 15 minutes. I love this.
  3. Nice restaurants. There are about three vying for favourite eating joint in my head and yes, once again, I can’t make up my mind. There’s The Only Place, am in love with their mustard sauce, Mangalore Pearl, oh, the fish curry, and then this newly discovered rooftop place, of which I don’t remember the name, but am definitely going back to.
  4. Living on my own. I thought I’d miss my family. I thought I’d want to go back home to all that is familiar and comfortable. I thought I’d be lonely. Yes, I miss my family. I don’t know how to get around this one. I love getting comfortable with all that isn’t familiar. I’m not lonely. Discovered that I love being alone. And the advantages of living alone.
  5. My apartment. My cousin rented me her apartment. I was lucky. Really lucky. It’s lovely.
  6. My work. Comes with a great boss. Nice colleagues. Lucky again. It’s a rare combination.
  7. The traffic. The less said the better. Drives me crazy. And I really don’t need much encouragement on that front.
  8. Time. The lack of it. To blog. To go places as often as I’d like. To read. To browse through bookshops. To make new friends.
  9. Style driven. This city. I’m not. Don’t know how to get around this either. I like myself. Very much. Not planning to change to fit into style-driven-new-city-where-I work.

So there we are. Still undecided. But, like the city or not, I’m happy. So maybe, just maybe, I do like the place.

3 comments:

Macabreday said...

i guess u may need to leave a place for good before you decide if you like it or not.... guess it works that way most of the time.
as for the traffic, its da worst i have seen in india, but thats a price to pay...a lot of good restaurants are indeed the plus point.
by the way...have u eaten at "indiana" fastfood on brigade road? its one of the first ones in blore....and i swear they have the best burgers and the worlds best mayonaise :)

Pam said...

More than anything, it's the someONEs I miss when we have moved, not the someTHINGs...

3inone said...

@mac
:) am just slowly discovering places in Bglr. Let me know when you're landing up and we shall go restaurant hopping.

@pam
yes I know. It's the someones. Really miss the someones. It takes a long time to fill in those gaps, sometimes they never get filled.