My favourite place on Sunday mornings is at the computer in my father's study. It's a small room, the eastern wall lined with windows making it bright. The light, colourful curtains make it cheerful. The well outside the windows keeps it cool. When I'm away in Bangalore, I miss this room the most. I'm home for the weekend now, and let me tell you, just one day here, and all the tension of work and the late nights and the pressure of keeping up with deadlines have disappeared. Sure, I know they're waiting there at the end of Wednesday morning's flight, but for the moment, I have my life and my self back. Yes, I do enjoy my work, but on and off, I love a day off to come home and relax, soaking in the peace, the silence of Sunday broken only by the occassional cheeping and chattering from the birds on the guava tree. And oh yes, the gurgles from the little baby boy who seems to have taken over the lives of all the adults in the house.
It's lovely to have a little one in the house and because he was such an unexpected miracle, everyone enjoys him all the more. Little as he is, he is already such an individual. At five months, my youngest nephew has established that he is expressive and that while he is happy playing by himself for a while, one of us had better pick him up or talk to him once in a way, or else spend the rest of the hour pacifying him until he stops his sad wailing.
His older brother, the suddenly grown up ten year old, has such a responsible air about him. Even when he's playing or watching TV, some part of him is alert for the sounds his little brother makes. He's made the adjustment from being the youngest grandchild in the family to being a responsible older brother so quickly and so surely. it made me proud to see my little jujube setting his feet so firmly on the road to growing up.
I wonder whether I should come home more often.
2 comments:
You wonder if you should?? u bet u should!!!! :-)
This is one thing most parts of Kerala are still good at...taking you away..far away from the madding crowd..
I have enjoyed reading a lot of your posts. Always wonderful to go home every so often. I miss the old days when I would drive down and spend the day with my parents. I still miss them.
Hope where you live, they soon make ways so the people with medical problems can more easily get around the city. Here most places have ramps to push wheel chairs up into restaurants, and most other public places. All the closest parking places are saved just for people with medical hardships. I have a brother in a wheel chair so I understand how hard it is for them to get around outside.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Post a Comment