I weep for what has happened to India. I weep. And I wonder. I wonder whether I'm wrong.
In the last few days I've been told that I am wrong
1. To disagree with the idea of military rule, anywhere and for any reason.
2. That I think we can praise our brave soldiers without belittling our Olympic Gold Medal Winner.
3. That I just can't stomach the -' but the power was cut and they couldn't have watched the TV'- excuse used by news channels for broadcasting tactical operations, when all head honchos of news channels obviously carry blackberrys or iphones or nokia nseries or some high tech phone on which they can surf the net and watch all news channels.
4. That I think a certain news editor on a prominent channel was annoying and insensitive in the way she used her bulldoze-the-politician-tactics on relatives of victims to get appropriate sound bytes.
5. To think that anger can be expressed without every sentence being a wish to kill someone.
Maybe, I am wrong.
10 comments:
:) wherever were you told that you were wrong to think we can praise our brave soldiers without belittling our Olympic Gold Medal Winner
To summarize: in Love and War anything goes ? :-)
#3 ---I was also baffled at the way they were giving a live blow-by-blow account of the commando tactics.
#4- The media also has to say "I'm sorry" for their shabby sensationalism.
#2 - that's funny - where did you hear that?!
#5 - its not wrong to be a pacifist.
@rama & fg
clarification for #2
There's a forward doing the rounds which compares the two and says that winning an olympic gold medal is "just a game".
I agree with you on all the points. About #3, I was surprised that the NSG commando leader himself didn't protest.
I want to add one more
curfew should have been declared I feel, which would have given the commandos a clearer field. But maybe I'm wrong?
really. mind sharing it?
@mattiz
wasn't aware that any of the points above were about love or war. They were about reactions and attittudes to terror.
@hgm
Agree with you. It would probably have made sense to have people away from there - and that includes the media.
@rama
if you really want it.
i think the fwd was, "a shooter wins a medal and the govt gives him 3 crore... three shooters die saving lives and the govt gives them 5 lakhs"
at least, thats the fwd i got..!!
u have a diff one?
@mac
My issue is with the belittling of Abhinav Bindra's achievement of winning a medal as 'just a game' in that forward.I think it should be possible for us to glorify something or someone without feeling the need to belittle someone else.
But then, maybe, I'm wrong.
ditto on #5
Post a Comment