through
the deserts of the past,
searching,
vainly,
for the oases of memories.
I find one
but alas!
It's a mirage.
Today, for some reason, I remembered an incident that happened about twenty years ago. I had visited an old aunt who had suffered a stroke. She had forgotten everything and everyone, including her son, but when she saw me, she recalled a trip to America, which I had accompanied her on. I wrote this poem after I got home that day.
P.S. The only country I've been to is Australia.
5 comments:
very interesting post!
@dcb
thanks. drop by again.
I especially like this poem, 3inone... very poignant illustration of the loss a stroke can bring. I'm not sure which side of this is better to be on -- to be the person who can't remember (if they can't remember, do they know what they're missing?) or the person looking at them who knows what is gone and wonders if it ever will return.
@pam,
thanks. yeah, i wonder too. she was so happy remembering that trip so maybe she was definitely better off than the rest of us who had to watch her fade away.
after i read the incident in dtl....i got the real feel of the poem.....and how truely it applies to some real sane lives too
it's soooo noce of u
Post a Comment